Thursday, August 21, 2008

Silly Song Singing

So on the nights when Rob is working and it's just me and the kids home for dinner, sometimes we have what I like to call "Dinner Theater." I used to do this when I was a kid (my to my parents' dismay). It's where the people who are done eating sing silly songs to entertain those who are still eating. Usually that's me. (Although sometimes, if we're feeling really crazy, I make the kids sing and dance for me if they want more food. Isn't that awful...I wish I had a video of the crazy cheese song and dance they did some months ago - it was hilarious!)

Anyways, most of the songs are old goofy ones from before I was born. Purple People Eater, The Locomotion, Wake Up Little Susie, Who Put the Bomp... The kids love it. (You should hear Camille's rendition of Who Put the Bomp...it's so great. I had the big kids sing it a few months ago for the Primary talent show.) We were brainstorming silly songs I could have the kids sing for Auntie Su's wedding next month and I thought of Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis. So here I am in the kitchen, singing and dancing up a storm, much to my kids' delight, when I am startled by a knock on the door. It was my neighbor popping by for a quick visit. Not only did she catch me being all crazy, and then being all startled when I turned around and saw her face in the window, but she revealed that I was so loud she could hear me halfway down my driveway. Yikes!

So the next night at dinner I'm singing that song from the movie La Bamba, the one that goes something like:

All my love
all my kissin'
You don't know what you've been missin'
Oh boy!
When you're with me, Oh boy!
The world can see
That you were meant for me.

I'm having a fun time singing, the kids are having fun when Camille busts out with, "Mommy, I wrote that song."

M:"What?" I was totally laughing! "No, you didn't!"
C: Yes. I made up all the words.
M: You did?
C: I made up other songs too.
M: Like what?
C: Like the Curious George song?
M: What Curious George song? Do you mean, "Curious George, a curious little monkey" (you know, the old Curious George theme song)?
C: Yeah. I wrote that song too.

The next thing you know she'll be claiming she invented the internet!

No comments: