Thursday, June 5, 2008

Fresh veggies and books

So today I took a trip to our local Piggly Wiggly. It may possibly be the smallest grocery store ever but I will miss it when we leave. Anyway, I was in the produce department and wanted to get some pickling cukes but the ones they had were really old and gross looking. I saw the produce manager nearby and asked him if he had any more out back. He was so nice. He went to the back, got a fresh crate and brought it out for me to pick from. I wish I had thought of it years ago. I could have been eating much better produce all this time. All I had to do was ask!

This summer I am taking a young adult literature class. It's actually pretty cool - mostly just reading, something I'd be doing anyway. I have been keeping busy reading YA book after YA book and have realized how depressing so many of these books are. Most of them are about someone's problem. Lots of them have a lot of bad language. Here's a list of YA books you can read if you want to feel down. I'm putting them in the order I read them.
- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn (tons of bad language)
- Boy Toy by Barry Lyga (about a boy who was sexually abused by his seventh grade history teacher and how he deals - very disturbing read)
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher(about a boy who learns why his classmate committed suicide)
- An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (about a dorky, whiny kid who keeps falling in love and getting dumped by girls named Katherine)
- Just Listen by Sarah Dessen (deals with a number of teen and family issues)
- Whirligig by Paul Fleischman (about a boy who accidentally kills someone in an auto accident and sets off on a mission to atone for his action)
- Mistik Lake by Martha Brooks (again, deals with a number of issues)

Yeah, I'm ready for some light hearted reads. Or maybe *gasp* I'll lay off the books for a couple of days and do something else instead.

Oh, I did just read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin. That was good. Not depressing. Sweet ending. I actually listened to that on my new iPod as I cleaned the house. Not that it took me all that time to clean the house, but whatever.

I've just learned that our library offers free audiobook downloads - a very cool thing. Check to see if you library does too. It's - again - very cool.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

If you need a good, light-hearted, well-written, and superbly entertaining set of books, check out the series "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" by Rick Riordan. The first of the series is "The Lightning Thief". I just love this series. No bad language, no sex, no suicide, just great, witty, fun reading.