Tuesday, August 30, 2011


Know how some days don't seem to turn out the way you plan? Today was one of those days for us. It seemed like it'd be straightforward: take Caleb to a play date, come home in time for the insulation folks to finish insulating our house, do some housework, maybe bake a treat or two in my new kitchen.

Unfortunately, that's not how things worked for us.

On the way out the door to take Caleb to his friends' house, I realized I didn't have my keys. It would have been great if I had realized it before the door latched behind me. It's such a tease to look through the window and see my keys but have no way to get them. Of course I'm extra careful about keeping doors and windows locked so there was no way to even pry open a window. Luckily I had a spare car key in my purse so I was able to get Caleb to his play date. Then I was able to find Rob's new work phone number from our GPS (he can't use his cell phone in the OR and I didn't have the new number in my phone yet) and was able to let him know I'd be over to grab his house key. Things were pretty uneventful on the drive over, except for Chloe's begging to eat lunch with her dad. Never mind that it wasn't lunchtime or that we had people waiting for us at our house because by this time the insulation guys were waiting for us. We drive straight home and that ride was pretty uneventful too, except for a bout of motion sickness. Fortunately Chloe has gotten pretty good at throwing up into a cup. Unfortunately we didn't have a cup, only a small baby bottle Chloe had brought with her for who knows what reason. Anyway, I got home with a load of laundry to wash. Lucky me.

We got the insulation folks all set (they had come out last week to insulate and got almost half of the house done before realizing they didn't have the right amount of insulation listed in their paperwork, so they had to come out and finish today) and then I got to clean up the mess from yesterday's daddy-kid cookie baking adventure. I busied myself making a big batch of marinara sauce (too bad I didn't have any mozzarella cheese in the fridge) and thought about baking a treat. I did some shoveling (I figured I'd better shovel a path to the side door and one from the front door to the street so the kids don't have to tromp through the snow to get to the bus before it ices over tomorrow).

(Did I mention that I certainly hope there's school tomorrow? They had a snow day on Wednesday, another one on Thursday, a teacher work day on Friday, the weekend and then today's holiday. That was a surprise six day vacation. Wish I had known in advance - I'd have taken the kids out of town or at least planned something fun to do. There are rumors spreading that we'll have another snow day tomorrow...sure hope not!)

Anyway, the girls kept themselves busy today.

They turned a half a loaf of bread into PB&J sandwiches, cut into star shapes with a cookie cutter they found.

Camille "organized" our pantry. I did explain to her that we are going to put up shelves before we really put food in there, but she wanted to do this anyway.

Chloe took a well-deserved nap.

That gave her enough energy to do some art on the wall. This is after I told her she couldn't write her name on the wall again.

No comments: